Coronavirus live news: India sees global record cases for second day; EU to strike world’s largest vaccine deal with PfizerApril 23, 2021
India’s total has now passed 16 million; European commission expects to buy 1.8bn doses; new ‘emergency brake’ in Germany from Saturday
- Delhi hospitals run out of oxygen as India’s Covid crisis mounts
- UK’s south Asian diaspora despairs as India joins Covid red list
- Everest cases shine harsh light on Nepalese decision to open mountain
- UK scientists find evidence of human-to-cat Covid transmission
- UK coronavirus updates – live
This has been shared by Prof Christina Pagel, of University College London:
The other thing is that Japan is being very slow to vaccinate compared to other high income regions – Just over 1% of its population has received one dose of Covid vaccine so far.
This leaves it more exposed to surges from B117 (vaccines work brilliantly against B117). 3/4 pic.twitter.com/P8TaBIXQmL
India’s Cadila Healthcare has started producing its potential Covid vaccine for which it will seek emergency use authorisation in May or June, its managing director told Reuters, with an aim to make up to 240m doses a year.
“We have just started producing doses,” Sharvil Patel said.