Coronavirus live news: Pfizer says jab 100% effective in 12- to 15-year-olds; Macron could announce lockdown tonightMarch 31, 2021
Pfizer plans to seek emergency authorisation for that age group in US; French president to address nation tonight and lockdown is one option
- Merkel, Macron and Putin in talks about using Sputnik V jab, says Kremlin
- European commission says AstraZeneca not obliged to prioritise UK
- About half of people in UK now have antibodies against coronavirus
- How wealthy nations are creating a ‘vaccine apartheid’
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Ukraine registered a record daily high of 407 Covid-related deaths over the past 24 hours, with infections likely to rise further over the next one to two weeks, its health minister said on Wednesday.
The capital Kyiv, with the highest infection rate in the country of 41 million, could be forced to restrict public transport, close schools and kindergartens, its mayor Vitali Klitschko told reporters.
He said the city’s hospitals dedicated to Covid treatment were now 80% full.
A major spike in infections last week to a 24-hour record of 18,132 prompted almost half the country’s regions to impose a tight lockdown.
Update from earlier post: Poland will reach the peak of the third wave of the pandemic this week or next according to government forecasts, its health minister Adam Niedzielski has said. We will bring you more on this as developments come in.