Coronavirus live news: Italy approves measures to lock down half of country; France exceeds 4m casesMarch 12, 2021
Restrictions in Italy set to remain until Easter; France total case numbers exceeded 4m on Friday as more than 25,000 new cases were reported
- Italian government approves strict new Covid measures as cases rise
- Brisbane hospital in lockdown after staff members tests positive
- No reason not to keep using AstraZeneca vaccine, says WHO
- UK coronavirus – latest updates
- Biden aims for 4 July ‘return to normalcy’ – live reaction
In the UK, health secretary, Matt Hancock, tweeted:
Huge thanks to everyone involved in the COVID testing programme.
Yesterday, over 1.6 MILLION tests were conducted. A huge team effort.
Mass-testing & the vaccine roll-out are our route to normal.
Lawmakers will get their Covid-19 vaccinations in hospital like everyone else from now on, the deputy speaker of Lebanon’s parliament said on Friday following a scandal over MPs receiving early jabs in the legislature.
About a dozen parliamentarians were vaccinated last month despite not being in a top priority group – sparking outrage in a country reeling from the impact of the pandemic and a financial meltdown.