Coronavirus live news: Germany closes border to parts of Austria, Czech Republic; Trump was sicker with Covid than reportedFebruary 12, 2021
US vaccination programme in ‘much worse shape’ than first thought, Biden says; Irish lockdown set to be extended until April. Follow latest updates
- Pfizer vaccine found to give strong immune response to new variants
- CDC: people with two vaccine doses can skip quarantine
- Arthritis drug that helps Covid ICU patients has wider benefits
- AstraZeneca says vaccine against new variants may take six months
- See all our coronavirus coverage
More children could be pushed into joining armed groups in conflict zones as families face increasing poverty due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a top UN official warned on Friday.
The exact number of child soldiers is unknown, but in 2019 alone about 7,740 children – some as young as six – were recruited and used as fighters or in other roles by mostly non-state armed groups, according to United Nations data.
The Guardian’s Denis Campbell, Dan Sabbagh, and Jessica Murray report that London doctors are running out of priority patients to vaccinate, and fear lives will be lost unless they can immunise outside of the four priority cohorts.
Doctors at the Francis Crick Institute in London say they are providing first doses at a rate of 100 a day when they have capacity for 1,000.
Related: London doctors say they are running out of priority patients to vaccinate