Senate passes budget plan to allow Biden’s $1.9tn Covid relief package without Republicans – liveFebruary 5, 2021
- Kamala Harris uses casting vote to pass resolution
- House votes to remove Marjorie Taylor Greene from committees
- Trump will refuse to testify at impeachment trial
- US records over 5,000 daily Covid deaths for first time
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
This is Joan Greve in Washington, taking over for Martin Belam.
Joe Biden will soon meet with House Democratic leaders and committee chairs to discuss his proposed coronavirus relief package.
Robinhood, the financial trading platform that is credited with both enabling, and then inhibiting, the unprecedented rise of Gamestop stocks, lifted all trading restrictions this morning, allowing users to buy shares in Reddit-promoted companies after a week of financial tumult.
The company has been criticized by users after it limited the amount of Gamestop and AMC shares individuals could purchase following a Reddit-led spike in certain companies’ share prices. “There are currently no temporary limits to increasing your positions,” Robinhood said in a statement on its website.
Related: Robinhood lifts all trading restrictions including Gamestop and AMC shares