Coronavirus live news: Novavax says vaccine is effective against UK variant; Paris hospitals to suspend jabs next weekJanuary 29, 2021
UK has ordered 60m doses of Novavax jab; French health authority says only enough doses left for second shots from 2 February
- EU could block millions of vaccine doses from entering UK with new powers
- Germany recommends Oxford vaccine not be used on over-65s
- Germany pushes on with travel ban as EU tries to coordinate rules
- French police accused of breaking curfew with Macarena party
- Dramatic drop in Covid cases gives India hope of return to normal life
Russia delivered the first batch of its Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine to Bolivia on Thursday along with a larger shipment for neighbouring Argentina, as Moscow looks to play a key role in the region’s vaccine rollout despite delivery delays.
A plane carrying 240,000 doses of the vaccine arrived in Argentina, of which 20,000 doses went on to Bolivia, where President Luis Arce was waiting to greet the delivery in La Paz. Bolivia will be the second Latin American country to roll out the Russian vaccine, Reuters reports.
A vaccine from Novavax, of which the UK has secured 60m doses, has been shown to be 89% effective in preventing Covid-19.
Prof Peter Openshaw, from Imperial College London, said the findings showed the jab “gives high levels of protection”.