Biden inauguration: Trump expected to issue flurry of pardons before leaving office – liveJanuary 18, 2021
- Biden will appeal for unity as US braces for violence
- Washington prepares for an inauguration under siege
- Executive orders will reverse Trump on climate, Iran, Covid and more
- US on verge of 24 million Covid cases with 400,000 deaths
- Kamala Harris: how will the next vice-president wield her power? Join the Guardian for a live conversation on 18 January
Julia Ainsley reports for NBC News this morning on criticism of Trump’s Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials for having their focus on immigration rather than domestic terror in recent years, leading to the scenes in the US Capitol on 6 January:
As armed rioters overtook police and moved into the Capitol, armed agents from DHS, an agency expressly designed to prevent another terrorist incident like the attacks of 9/11, stood inside a nearby building waiting for a command to deploy that never came.
There is also no indication that DHS shared any intelligence with its state and local partners or with US Capitol Police before 6 January that would have indicated that the protests could turn into a riot.
Some news unlikely to cheer up the outgoing president as he heads for the White House door, Reuters report that one London’s most popular museums will become the permanent home for a blimp depicting Donald Trump as a snarling, nappy-wearing orange baby.