Results trickle in for Georgia elections as turnout exceeds expectations – liveJanuary 6, 2021
- Political pundits are predicting a Democratic sweep
- Democrats need to win both runoff races to flip the Senate
- Georgia Senate runoff elections – live results
- Why Georgia Senate elections are a big deal
- Meet the candidates in today’s crucial contests
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
Republicans David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler have now taken slight leads in the two runoff races, with about 69% of votes counted.
But things are still looking quite promising for Democratic candidates Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, who are outperforming Joe Biden’s November numbers in many counties.
Here’s the story right now:
1. Black turnout looks, frankly, phenomenal.
2. Perdue/Loeffler are approaching Trump %s of the vote in a lot of deep red rural counties, but turnout there isn’t anything special.
3. It’s getting harder to see a path for either R, but esp. Loeffler.
Gabriel Sterling, a top Republican official in the Georgia secretary of state’s office, blamed Donald Trump for the party’s potential losses tonight.
Sterling told CNN that, if David Perdue and/or Kelly Loeffler lose, then the blame for that will “fall squarely on the shoulders of President Trump and his actions since November 3”.