US election 2020: Biden holds lead over Trump in tense wait for results – live updatesNovember 5, 2020
- Biden says he’s on course to win as Trump threatens to fight outcome
- ‘Count every vote’: protesters take to streets across US
- Why are the media reporting different US election results?
- Trump v Biden – full results as they come in
- Senate and House elections – full results as they come in
If you are wondering why counting is slow in some states – aside from sheer numbers and geography – this may help. NBC News’ Gadi Schwartz has been in one of the counting centers in Arizona and in the video linked below he explains the three tiers poll workers go through to make sure a signature on a dropped off or mailed-in ballot is authentic. It’s a good watch.
See it here: NBC News – How Arizona poll workers verify signature on ballots
It shouldn’t be forgotten that the election was taking place in the midst of a pandemic, and yesterday the US set a new record for the highest number of new daily cases recorded anywhere in the world.
According to the Johns Hopkins University tracker, yesterday the US recorded 102,831 new cases of coronavirus, and saw 1,097 new Covid deaths.
I haven’t heard the mainstream media mention COVID-19 for 36 hours.
That’s been a nice change.