Coronavirus live: Germany on verge of losing control of Covid fight, warns MerkelOctober 26, 2020
Latest updates: German leader speaks of ‘very difficult months ahead’; Switzerland readies new restrictions; WHO warns against ‘vaccine nationalism’; Israel to begin first vaccine clinical trials next month
- US comes close to new daily case record
- China: new coronavirus outbreak detected in Xinjiang city of Kashgar
- Dread of history repeating itself grows in Italy as infections rise again
- Which European nations are getting it right on Covid?
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Belgium’s intensive care units will be overrun in a fortnight if the current rate of infection continues, a spokesman for country’s Covid-19 crisis centre has said, writes Daniel Boffey, the Guardian’s Brussels bureau chief.
Dr Yves Van Laethem said the 2000 intensive care beds would be full with patients without a change of course.
Singapore has temporarily withdrawn two flu vaccines after dozens of people in nearby South Korea died after receiving the shots, the South China Morning Post reports.
Forty-eight people had died in South Korea as of Saturday after receiving the vaccines, however the South Korean health authorities said it would continue with its vaccination programme because it had found no direct link to the deaths.