October 11, 2020
Doctor says president not replicating virus, but no word on whether he has tested negative; Europe records 100,000 daily cases for first time. Follow latest updates
- Trump returns to public events with ‘law and order’ speech at White House
- Make masks compulsory in UK workplaces, say doctors
- Spain declares emergency in Madrid as Berlin emerges as hotspot
- UK workers to get two-thirds of wages if firms told to shut
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Meanwhile in the US:
More than 860,000 women dropped out of the labor force in September, according to new report. (via @CNBCMakeIt) https://t.co/h77gcVIBsE
On the issues with the White House’s efforts to test guests and staff, from the Wall Street Journal:
The White House says it has relied on rapid testing to help prevent the spread of Covid-19 among officials and guests. Officials don’t wear masks or socially distance because they are tested daily. The president is also tested for the coronavirus every day, as is anyone who comes in close contact with him.
The administration relied on Abbott Laboratories ’ ID Now rapid test at the Sept. 26 event for Judge Barrett. After guests tested negative, they were ushered to the Rose Garden, where few people were wearing masks. The White House didn’t comment on whether anyone screened at the event tested positive.