Coronavirus live news: US reports 5,000 deaths in five days as Australia sees record new casesJuly 27, 2020
Birx says federal health experts recommend bar closures in Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana and Virginia; Spain’s Covid-19 deaths could be 60% higher; Global deaths near 650,000. Follow the latest updates
- Victoria, Australia sees national record 532 new cases
- Pacific Islanders in US hospitalised with Covid-19 at up to 10 times the rate of other groups
- UK could impose more ‘handbrake restrictions’ on arrivals beyond Spain
- US records more than 1,000 Covid deaths a day as Republicans mull relief
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Hi, Helen Sullivan here. I’ll still be bringing you the latest for the a few hours – your questions, suggestions and news tips are welcome.
Send them to me on Twitter @helenrsullivan or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coronavirus cases in Papua New Guinea have nearly doubled in a weekend, with the emerging pandemic threatening to overwhelm the country’s already-fragile healthcare system.
The pandemic has, so far, been largely suppressed in the archipelagic nation, with low infection rates and only one death – of an already seriously-ill patient – linked to Covid-19.
Related: Coronavirus cases in Papua New Guinea double in days amid fears for health system