Coronavirus live news: record 24-hour increase in global cases; Bogotá to re-enter strict lockdownJuly 10, 2020
WHO reports worrying rise; Idlib schools close after first case in province; new outbreak prompts Hong Kong to close all schools
- Idlib’s first Covid-19 case sparks fear of fresh disaster
- Scott Morrison says Australia will halve rate of international arrivals
- WHO inquiry aims to ‘stop the world being blindsided again’
- Disney World set to reopen despite coronavirus surge in Florida
- UK coronavirus updates – live
Metropolitan Melbourne returned to lockdown on 8 July after Victoria recorded 191 new cases since the start of the week, which was at the time the highest daily increase since the pandemic began.
Guardian Australia’s Melissa Davey explains why the stage 3 stay-at-home orders were announced, how the latest lockdown has been met with a mixture of fury and acceptance – and whether this apparent ‘second wave’ could have been avoided:
Below is a roundup of the main news from around the globe today.