Coronavirus live news: new outbreak prompts Hong Kong to close all schools; new spike in MelbourneJuly 10, 2020
Bolivia leader and Venezuelan Socialist party boss test positive; Tokyo pays nightclubs to close; global cases reach 12.3m
- Scott Morrison says Australia will halve rate of international arrivals
- South Africa warns of ‘storm’ as outbreak accelerates across continent
- WHO inquiry aims to ‘stop the world being blindsided again’
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- Australia coronavirus updates – live
Associated Press have published an interesting analysis on how, in just three weeks, India went from the world’s sixth to the third-worst hit country by the coronavirus pandemic, according to a tally by John Hopkins University.
India’s fragile health system was bolstered during a stringent months-long lockdown but experts say it could still be overwhelmed by an exponential rise in infections.
Our own Rory Carroll in Dublin is reporting that Ireland’s latest cases of Covid-19 all occurred in people aged under 44, prompting concern that young adults may drive a surge in infections.
Of 23 new cases reported on Thursday, just over three quarters involved people aged under 25, the first such concentration in young people, health authorities said at the daily briefing,