Coronavirus live news: Saudi Arabia closes borders to hajj attendees as global Covid-19 cases pass 9m

Coronavirus live news: Saudi Arabia closes borders to hajj attendees as global Covid-19 cases pass 9mJune 23, 2020

Texas ‘wide open for business’; WHO urges dexamethasone steroid boom; South Africa infections top 100,000. Follow the latest updates

  • Saudi Arabia closes borders to hajj attendees
  • Half of US states see spike as officials warn first wave far from over
  • South Korea has Covid-19 second wave as Israel ponders new lockdown
  • Barcelona opera reopens with performance for nearly 3,000 potted plants
  • See all our coronavirus coverage

The known number of cases of coronavirus has passed 9 million. According to Johns Hopkins University, which keeps a tally of official statistics, 9,036,002 cases have been reported.

The United States is the world’s worst affected country by case numbers, with more than 2.3 million cases alone.

Saudi Arabia said on Monday it will bar arrivals from abroad to attend the hajj this year due to the coronavirus, allowing only a limited number of Saudi citizens and residents to make the pilgrimage with social distancing measures enforced.

“This decision is taken to ensure Hajj is performed in a safe manner from a public health perspective while observing all preventative measures and the necessary social distancing protocols to protect human beings from the risks associated with this pandemic and in accordance with the teachings of Islam in preserving the lives of human beings,” the ministry that oversees pilgrimages said in a statement.

The number of coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia has exceeded 160,000, with 1,307 deaths, following a rise in new infections over the past two weeks.

Some 2.5 million pilgrims typically visit the holiest sites of Islam in Mecca and Medina for the week-long hajj. Official data show Saudi Arabia earns around $12bn a year from the hajj and the lesser, year-round pilgrimage known as umrah.

The kingdom halted international passenger flights in March and asked Muslims in March to put hajj plans on hold until further notice. International arrivals for umrah pilgrimages have also been suspended until further notice.

Earlier this month, Malaysia and Indonesia both barred their citizens from travelling to Saudi Arabia for the pilgrimage, citing fears of the coronavirus.

Continue reading…

Read more

admin
Author: admin

Leave a Reply